You can still use prior learning assessment as a first-year student, and Penn State encourages you to do so. You're considered a first-year student if, among other guidelines, you have attempted seventeen or fewer semester hours of college coursework at a regionally accredited college or university before attending Penn State. You may also have enrolled in another institution before graduating from high school (dual or concurrent enrollment) or have taken exams after advanced coursework. 

Have I Earned any College Credit? 

Resources for First-Year Students 

Advanced Placement Program

Penn State Credit for AP



Advanced Level (A-Level) Exams

Penn State Credit for A-Levels


International Baccalaureate Program (IB)

Penn State Credit for IB



Please see our information about transfer credits.