We know you are concerned about your credits and if and how your previous classes will transfer. All college-level coursework completed with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0) at a regionally accredited institution can be considered for transfer to Penn State. Some courses will be direct equivalents to Penn State courses; others will be transferred as General Education credits, course-level credits, or elective credit. Use the Transferring Credit Tool to enter coursework you've taken and view Penn State's review of that coursework. The other links will guide you through additional help and guidelines.

Credits Earned at Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Credits Earned at Non-regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities (Credit by Validation)

College-level work completed with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0) at an institution that awards associate degrees or higher but is not a member of a regional accrediting association may be transferred to Penn State by validation (Policy 42-81). Prior to completing the Student Request for Credit by Validation form, we encourage you to review potential courses for validation with an academic adviser.

The credit by validation process involves the following steps:

  1. After enrolling at Penn State, you are responsible for initiating the process by requesting a credit by validation form from the admissions office of your campus.
  2. Complete the form and submit it with copies of course syllabi, descriptions, or outlines to Undergraduate Admissions.
  3. Undergraduate Admissions staff will then determine if the course is eligible for credit by validation.

In order to pursue credit by validation, eligible courses must:

  • have an equivalent course offering at Penn State, which includes comparable learning outcomes and standard of instruction;
  • be graded at an equivalent to a C (2.0) or higher.

If the course meets the course requirements and is determined to be eligible by Undergraduate Admissions, then the following occurs:

  • Undergraduate Admissions sends the information to the academic college/department it determines should validate the course.
  • The department shares its decision with Undergraduate Admissions, who notes it in the student record and communicates the result of the evaluation with the student.

Credits Earned at Accredited Institutions outside the United States

College-level coursework completed at a foreign institution that is recognized by the appropriate authority and awards degrees equivalent to those in the United States may be transferrable to Penn State. Ask the institution where you completed the coursework to send an official transcript directly to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. If the transcript is not in English, you must also provide a translation. Descriptions comprised of three to five sentences are required for each course.